I was in Chile having a successful job as personal trainer but I felt something was missing. I had this deep feeling of travelling and see for myself, how could be to travel and work as a fitness coach in other country, in a beautiful and magical place, close to the sea, and surrounded by nature. I really thought about doing this for a long time, and after a year, I threw myself to the experience.
This article is meant for anyone who is wanting to do the same. Maybe you watched a motivating video in your instagram, or maybe you have a friend that is doing it too. Maybe you feel you have accomplished almost everything society wanted from you, and now you are looking for a change. Something more sintonized with your spirit.
The reasons can be multiple, only you know what is better for you. So I will just leave part of my experience here, so it serves to you.
Many people asked me when I was already there. I would say, that it was a mixture of intuition and circumstances. First, I had Mexico in mind long time ago to visit. Second, I wanted to go to the caribbean sea. Third, I was looking for a place with nature and interesting things to do, at the same time, didn’t wanted to go to a big city or a to a remote place, just something in the middle. Fourth, the first time I was in Tulum, during my travel through Mexico, I had this special feeling of “I would live here”, and even I knew amazing places after this first visit, none of them gave me the same sensation, so I went back to Tulum and decided that I would stay there and do the bet (this decision was the most difficult and transformed my life forever, for a better life).
How did I start?
I just sent email to all hotels and Yoga studios and Fitness centers I could find in a google search, presenting myself with a little resume and a link to my social media and websites, asking for an interview or chance to work there. Went knocking door by door, doing the same. Until someone gave me the chance to start, and then everything just went forward like a snowball.
Would I do this again?
Yes! Totally, but with some considerations and deeper goals in mind that just having the experience. Because is never enough, when you are a seeker, you discover that there is a part of you that only shines when you set foot out of your confort zone and do what you love. Its risky, its dangerous, its difficult, and lonely. But at the same time is one of the best experiences in life for you self steem, for your soul, for your personal and professional growth.
You see, I had in mind a dream. My dream was to have a carreer jump into an international public, use all the skills I got and learn new. Reach new people and add them into my life, not just as figures in the social media, but as a real human, doing real things. Not only locally, but globally.
My suggestions to you:
- Learn and use new languages. In Tulum, english is a must, because of the international audience. You have to be able to give classes in english and if you know more languages, they add up. When you contact possible places to work in, do it in english.
- Have a medical insurance, just in case. I had dengue and some infections due to street food, so is good that you consider this.
- Don’t be afraid. Nobody knows you, so consider yourself starting from zero and give yourself the chance to be who you are. There is nobody to impress. Be yourself, do what you love, show up and give your best.
- Consider the visa permits to stay in the country you are visiting and have the necessary money, to go out and come in again if you plan to stay longer. Also have a money reserve or a ticket to go back to your country just in case there is an emergency.
- Choose the right season. Places like Tulum in which many people go for vacations, has of course high and low season. If you are planning to go for the high season, expect to have a lot of competition, many other yoga, meditation and fitness teachers and alike, want to do the same. I started in the lower season, this made it a little easier to find a job, and if you focus on doing your work right, and in positive relationships with the bussiness owners, you can expect to have better oportunities for the high season.
- Enjoy it. You never know if this is going to be the last time you do something like this. The amount of things we can really put under our control is so few that really, don’t stress if things don’t go the way you planned. Just go with the flow, enjoy the ride and be literally like a sponge. Absorb all the experiences, into you, keep the beautiful and good people in your heart and of course your social media, and let go everything else.
In the end, the main actor and creator of your life is you. Follow your heart and intuition, it will serve you as a compass when you feel lonely or lost, avoiding trouble and dangers that may show up in your journey.
Be aware of some people, because not everything that shine is gold. Many people are waiting for persons with their heart open, to take some kind of advantage, so don’t loose yourself, remember who you are, your roots and the people who love you back in your country. Because you are going to be the ambassador of everyone and everything you learnt at home.
I wish that if you are reading this, to take the decision to jump out, DO IT, fearlessly and with love in your heart. Don’t travel to escape your reality, don’t explore the world with unresolved relationships and feelings. Do it because you are complete, and you feel ready to give your best out there. And if at any moment, you need someone to express or communicate your thoughts and feelings. You can write to me, I will be happy to answer.